Webmail alternatives

Alan Amesbury amesbury at umn.edu
Wed Jan 10 19:53:53 UTC 2007

Oliver von Bueren wrote:

> OFF-Topic: That looks like the authors do not like FreeBSD and/or are
> not able to produce true stable and cross-platform compliant code.
> I'd rather not go that route if the maintainer have that attitude. On
> the other hand, I don't know that program at all.
[snip]

Actually, I'm curious about the source of the original quote.  I note on
SurgeMail's site this text:

	SurgeMail Mail Server Software Suite - combines advanced
	features, high performance and ease of use. Ideal on Windows,
	UNIX ( Linux, Solaris etc.), Mac OSX, FreeBSD and others, this
	integrated email server is an Antispam Server, Antivirus Server,
	Webmail Server, Groupware Server, Blog Server and much more.

In their cross-platform notes, they're somewhat less enthusiastic:

	Systems with known issues:

	FreeBSD - Threading library is faulty when used with 'fork',
	possibly resolved in freebsd5. This fault is not critical but is
	irritating, it doesn't seem to impact SurgeMail in any known
	way.

There *were* threading issues in FreeBSD prior to FreeBSD 5 but, as they
say, that was then and this is now.  I note that Mac OS X is listed as
having no known issues which, given OS X's heritage, I think is another
sign that those problems are a thing of the past.

So, to be fair, it sounds like their product would work with FreeBSD,
but that FreeBSD isn't a core platform that they test with much.
Personally I think that's too bad, as my experiences with FreeBSD the
past seven years or so have been largely positive.

Oh, yeah.....  I found the text quoted above at

	http://www.netwinsite.com/surgemail/
	http://www.netwinsite.com/surgemail/crossplatform.htm

And, no, I don't work for them.  :-)

--