Clamav replacement for FreeBSD+postfix?

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Thu Feb 15 18:03:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:24:39AM -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Anyone using something other than Clamav in an busy FreeBSD+postfix
> environment for antivirus?
>
> Clamav freezes often. Reading archives, seems this is not so rare
> in FreeBSD.
>
> We even tried better machines, and gave Clamav more memory. That helped,
> but still seeing issues.
>
> This is for an ISP, so experiences on other ISPs or large setups (ie over
> 100,000 emails per day) would be most welcome.

We're using clamav (clamd, together with exim) in our setup. Our setup
consisting of currently four servers assigned to this task is processing
around one million deliveries per day, around 3.5 million rejects in the
same period. There were times, when we also had problems with hanging
clamd processes, but for several months this setup is quite stable now.
We're using FreeBSD 6, amd64. Servers have 4 GB of RAM, we needed to
tune a bit in the config files of clamd so that it's leveld fine with
our load. Also we use it successfully with libthr instead of libpthred
(through libmap.conf).

At least for a recent 6-STABLE, recent clamav and the given configs I
cannot agree with you on missing stability.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |