nve0 reports 10M but works at 100M, + date problem on Siemens board.

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Aug 29 04:01:30 PDT 2007

Hi freebsd-isp at freebsd.org
2 problems seen on a Siemens board (with 6.2-RELEASE):
	- nve0 reports 10M but works at 100Mbit/s.
	- date time loss .
If anyone else has experience of these boards, please let me know:
board I tested:
	http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Manuals/ShowDescription_KMT.asp?DokuID=200449
	# Off web seemed newer on HTML page, but PDF is same Ed. 3
	Paper manual marked A26361-D2000-Z120-1-7419, Ausgabe 3, August 2005
	a26361-d2000-z120-en.pdf
	Manual in English is inferior to German original, I guess
	these first/primarily sold into servers in German speaking
	markets. (So trying isp@ before perhaps hardware@ later).

Ethernet Problem:
    With /etc/rc.conf
	ifconfig_nve0="inet 192.168.91.110 media autoselect"
    ifconfig reports
	media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
    although shows data actually moves at 100 Meg bit/sec.
    Not sure if this is standard to driver or unique to mainboard.
    This when connected to 3 different 100M switches (no 1G switch to test).
    Ethernet Driver In FreeBSD is a binary BLOB
		/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/nve/i386/ nvenetlib.README
		"Customer may not reverse engineer, decompile..."
	BIOS DVD seems to indicate same or similar BLOB for Linux & MS.
	There's a newer Nvidia driver in current source:
		ftp/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/src/sys/dev/nfe/
	"Driver for NVIDIA nForce MCP Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet"

Clock Problem:
    Main board(s) have a strange problem with date after reboot
    losing time (but only with FreeBSD, not with BIOS only or Linux ?! )
    apparently mboards have 3 counters, it's being investigated by
    others with new battery & resetting BIOS defaults etc.

I don't currently have access to these boards at a client site, but
in contact.   Any experiences to swap/ comments ?

Julian
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Consultant: BSD Unix Linux. http://berklix.com
        Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.