Using FreeBSD as a router

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Wed Aug 22 09:10:11 PDT 2007

Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I've never actually tried getting FBSD to grap it's own routing
> information from a routing protocol but it's possible you could go
> down that route as well...

OSPF wouldn't be a bad choice here. You could even do ECMP if needed.
Once the ospf adjacency is setup (and assuming its a DR or BDR) it will
route everything out that interface even without a default gateway. OSPF
will populate the FreeBSD routing table with the appropriate information.

For redundancy, if the link goes down it will automatically fail over
and if there's a software problem or similar on the other end the ospf
timeouts should kick in and start routing via the other DR or through
the BDR.

Regards,

	Chris