Using FreeBSD as a router

Steffen Schumacher steffen at schumacher.dk
Wed Aug 22 07:17:32 PDT 2007

On 22.08.2007 08:32:41 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> Steffen Schumacher wrote:
> > On 22.08.2007 12:30:54 +0100, Tom Judge wrote:
> > > Steffen Schumacher wrote:

[cut..]

> > /Steffen
>
> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> means."
>
> In FreeBSD the default route is a directly connected host that it can
> send packets to that it doesn't have a specific route to.  It's not
> going to 'figure out' a default route from a network address.

Thats how it seems to work at any rate.

> There are a lot of hacks people use to get around this, some of the
> are of the 'ping this ip periodically and if it goes away swap the
> default route' nature.

This is definately in the 'hack' category.

> You could also investigate running CARP/HSRP/VRRP/GLBP  on these two gateways
> so they can sit on the same IP, thus obliviating the need to change
> the default route at all.

I can only run such protocols in my own end. 131.164.191.1+.2 are two PE
routers owned by my ISP. They will only run bgp with the default candidate
setup as described.

> I've never actually tried getting FBSD to grap it's own routing
> information from a routing protocol but it's possible you could go
> down that route as well...

On a Cisco router this way actually works, but that doesn't help me a lot.
I've borrowed a small CPE from Juniper, so I'll try to see if thats able
to do it. Its also based on FreeBSD, so..

/Steffen