PPPOE concentrator troubleshooting

Oliver von Bueren ovb at ovb.ch
Fri Aug 17 05:26:20 PDT 2007

Jay Banks wrote:
>> set ipcp ranges 64.238.118.143/32 64.238.118.145/32
>
> On the /32, I read somewhere that the PPPoE server will not
> pass subnet information to the client, just an IP address.
>
> I must confess the /32 on the above confuses me as to
> what it is there for?
> For the record, I came up with that from a config file I
> found on the Internet. It could be totally wrong for what
> I'm trying to do...but it was one of the few config examples
> I could find, so I ran with it.
Hi Jay

If I followed this thread correctly, you've been able to connect and
your client go an IP address out of the configured range and could ping
the host itself. I don't know that software either, but what pops into
my mind is that it might be a routing problem on your border router of
your network and not your box itself.
Did you do a traceroute to one of the client addresses from another(!)
box? Is the first hop your border router and then it goes on to your
upstream provider? If yes, fix that.

I assume, to just make an example of your network configuration, that
the ip network your box connects to has the address range
64.238.118.0/24, your gateway to the internet is 64.238.118.1, which in
turn is set as your default route on the box as well as on all the other
servers connected to that network. Your box we assume has .10 as it's
address and you have the addresses .143 to .145 for your PPPoE clients
reserved.
Now, does your border router .1 know, that it has to route these three
addresses to the your box? To make it simpler for the router. I'd
suggest you take a "better" subnet, say 144 to 147, meaning a real
two-bit subnet. Then do the following on your border router:
route add -net 64.238.118.144 64.238.118.10 255.255.255.252

Now the border router sends all the packets for that subnet to your box
on .10 (test with traceroute from another server) from where it should
go on to the clients, if the box does the routing of IP packets.

BTW: I've seen your other message about proxy arp just now, which fixes
the issue as well, but I'd discourage that if you can configure the
router correctly to route all addresses your clients will get directly
from the router to your box.

--

       Oliver