PPPOE concentrator troubleshooting

Jay Banks jay.quest4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 02:41:19 UTC 2007

Thanks for the files. I'll sure look through them.

> i've never used mpd but i've done some research on it. i'm attaching a
> file in which you have a generator for mpd.conf for pppoe connections.
> also i've noticed you have /36 for subnet?
>>
>> set ipcp ranges 64.238.118.143/36 64.238.118.145/36

That may have been a typo. Is this like DHCP in which it just
hands out an address between these ranges? Or is this
like security, where the address assigned to the end user
must be between this range?

The IP address my server is giving my PPPoE client
is from the mpd.secret file, which looks something like
this (working from memory):

            jbanks                mypassword         64.238.118.211

Note that this IP address is not between the ranges shown
above in the "set ipcp ranges." Maybe that is one of the
problems?

Also, my Mikrotik PPPoE client shows the default route to be
that of the PPPoE server (64.238.118.136). That sounds
right to me, but again, I don't know.

>> set ipcp ranges 64.238.118.143/32 64.238.118.145/32

On the /32, I read somewhere that the PPPoE server will not
pass subnet information to the client, just an IP address.

I must confess the /32 on the above confuses me as to
what it is there for?

For the record, I came up with that from a config file I
found on the Internet. It could be totally wrong for what
I'm trying to do...but it was one of the few config examples
I could find, so I ran with it.

Thanks for the help, guys,

Jay