PPPOE concentrator troubleshooting

Jay Banks jay.quest4 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:32:16 UTC 2007

With sparse documentation, I have managed to configure a FreeBSD MPD PPPoE Concentrator, and I'm accessing it with a Mikrotik PPPoE client. It works to some degree. I connect right away to the server, and if I change the password to an invalid one, it refuses a connection. However, from the client I can only get to the server. I can ping it, but anything else, in the same network, or out to the Internet fails. I can also pull up a website located on the same server as the PPPoE server.

Per the documentation I have found, I turned on gateway_enabled="YES" in rc.conf. But to me, it seems like the FreeBSD server isn't forwarding the packets from the PPPoE client on like it should.

Is there anything I should do besides gateway_enabled="YES" to be able to get the packets forwarding from the server to their proper destination (and back!).

I have pretty much figured all of this out by trial and error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just someone pointing me to a "how-to" that explains everything in more detail would also be great.  I have done a lot of googling on this issue, but I'm just missing the right info, I guess.

Thanks,

Jay