Log a network card traffic

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 13:24:10 UTC 2006

Marco Gonçalves wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> any thoughts about graphing in a nice MRTG all the traffic coming in and out from a network card using the simplest method possible ( and mininum cpu cycles possible). I think that runing SNMP is a bit too much just for getting this done.

Hmm a compination of rrdtool and netstat -ib should be enough if you
just want traffic volume. netstat -ib will show in and out traffic in
bytes (it you want bits i guess just multiply by 8 first) If you use
pf/ipfw then maybe a pass rule and "pfctl -vs rules" and grep/sed/awk
or similar on the output (to be fair if you use pf then maybe just use
pfstat in ports.)