[OT] Domain Name Registrars

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Sun May 21 20:49:13 UTC 2006

Troy Settle wrote:

> [...]
>>> had to register
>>> anything with them unless I intended on becoming an ICANN certified
>>> registrar.
>>>
>>> It seems odd in any event that I would need to register my name
>>> server, which is in the .ca
>>> domain, with ICANN.  Obviously I had to register with CIRA but that
>>> seems irrelevant
>>> to my current situation / vexation.
>>>
>>> If I do somehow need to register my name server with ICANN would
>>> someone be so kind
>>> as to point me to the correct RTFM entry, URI, etc.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Duane Whitty
>> Hello again, everyone
>>
>> Thank you for your responses.
>>
>> Yeah, my registrar is on crack as far as I'm concerned and I think a
>> lot of other registrars,
>> if not most of them, are just as bad.
>>
>> I wish there was a way to tell the root servers about my name server
>> without even needing
>> to go through the registrars
>>
>> For the record, the registrar is Netfirms.  Beware of Netfirms.  I
>> just don't
>> understand what the issue is.  Maybe they thought I'd roll over and
>> give them all
>> my DNS, email, and web hosting business once they made it impossible
>> for me
>> to run my own DNS.  If so, they thought wrong.  And ICANN will
>> definitely be
>> hearing from me.
>>
>> What I don't understand is why they bother with this policy.  Isn't
>> it just easier to sell
>> a domain name and tell the customer to email you or fill out your web
>> form with their
>> name server information.  I know that is exactly how it use to be
>> done, except you only
>> only dealt with one organization.  Then charge a customer if they
>> want extra stuff.  Then
>> if they want enough extra features start making packages with
>> incentives.
>>
>> And even when you know you may have this problem and ask about it
>> directly it's like
>> pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer.  I've basically come
>> to the conclusion that
>> anything other than an immediate "Yes, name servers are your
>> responsibilty.  Tell us
>> the name of your name servers and the IP addresses.  If you want us
>> to run your DNS it
>> costs this much $X extra".
>>
>> Well, whiners are irritating and I'm starting to irritate myself. So
>> enough of my noise.
>> Thanks a lot for the suggestions and clarifications.
>>

>> Most Respectfully,
>>
>> Duane Whitty
>

> Here's the thing for name servers (at least as far as I understand
> it)... the glue records must exist in the root servers for each
> registry.  If your name servers are under the .ca TLD, and you're
> registering a .com domain, then the .com registry must have the glue
Well, interstingly enough, it seems you can get by with the root servers
not having
glue records for everything;  My secondary name server is missing
glue records in the root servers.  And dnsreport.com notifies me of
this whenever I do a check.

> While this policy makes sense, it does suck when it comes time to
> renumber your network, since you'll have to update the glue records in
> every registry out there.  Quite the PITA.
>
> Ugh... speaking of which, I have like 8 days left to get my network
> renumbers... please do feel sorry for me.
>
> As an OpenSRS reseller, I have the ability to publish my glue records
> myself.  This doesn't help my customers, but at least the frustration
> ends with me, and I don't have to fight my registrar to get it done.
>
> IMO, if you're not working with a wholesale registrar like OpenSRS,
> you really should look into it.  You get a much greater level of
> control over your domains, which can make life much nicer.  Yes, you
> might pay a little more than you would with the bottom-feeding
> registrars and RSPs out there, but it's well worth it IMO.  Tucows is
> pretty responsive to questions (I think that someone already said
> "they're not assholes"), not that you'll have any once you get up and
> running and have all your domains transferred over.
The other concern of course is that I will probably have more domains in
the future.
Almost guaranteed actually.  So yes, transferring domains is hopefully
a  one time deal
which I really need to get done with Real Soon Now.  But once bitten
twice shy, as the
saying goes, so now I am being quite cautious about which registrar I
transfer my domains
too.   Luckily I have received lots of good
feedback, yours included, that I believe will help me deal with this.

> Good luck,
>
> --
>   Troy Settle
>   Pulaski Networks