experience with dell DRAC 4?

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Thu Mar 16 01:58:09 UTC 2006

Does anyone have experience of Dell's remote access card, the DRAC 4? (as
sold for the dell poweredge 850 I'm looking at).

Dell suggests that it's possible, at least for windows, to install an
operating system remotely via one of these cards.  If that were possible
with FreeBSD, it would be very useful for me for deploying remote servers.

Short of that, out of band serial access for remote management of servers
is the base criteria I'm looking for, and I'd be interested in any
feedback on how the dell card performs, and any issues relating to FreeBSD
compatibility.

If there's competing products I should be aware of that might also be
useful information.

Andrew McNaughton

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew at scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792
                             pgp keyid: 70F6C32D
--
"We are trying to figure out how you conduct a war against something
other than a nation-state and how ... you conduct a war in countries