Sending mail to SMTP from command line

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Mon Jan 23 17:29:44 PST 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:07:49PM -0600, Kenny @ Gmail wrote:
>Google is your friend.
>http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

I don't think that's what the OP had in mind... atthis moment I'm
typing with a broken terminal... at least I can use vim...

problem is no /usr/lib/sendmail replacement that doesn't require a
daemon to watch the queue and connect to remote hosts.

in this age of regulated sites that would be really handy too. eg
at a financial site, it would be really useful to not run a smtp
daemon (even only on 127.0.0.1) to avoid the audit; but still have
a sendmail replacement which forks and tries to deliver the mail
for seven days eg one process for each message, or something more
advanced, one process for a queue in a tempdir which disappears
when each message is delivered and the process ends. (my idea,
public domain)

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org