FreeBSD as Server

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sat Jan 14 04:19:11 PST 2006

Alexander wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger пишет:
>
>> Alexander <shulik_freebsd at matrixhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>> http://linuxgazette.net/122/TWDT.html#piszcz - there is comparation
>>> of Linux FS.
>>

>> Since this doesn't cover the FreeBSD implementations of UFS or UFS2,
>> this
>> doesn't say anything about the reasons why you want to use a
>> different FS on
>> FreeBSD.
>
> So. Ext2/Ext3 is only modification of UFS and UFS is modification of
> S5FS. That's why I don't think, that UFS or UFS2 work better than
> ext2/ext3. But XFS and Reiser has big advantage.

I think these are gross generalizations, and not very true at all.  They
are all different in their own right, and all have different performance
charactoristics.  If you feel ext3 would be better suited to your needs,
feel free to complete the ext2 port to ext3 for FreeBSD, I'm sure lots
of people would enjoy it.  Better yet, finish the write portion of XFS.

Eric