FreeBSD as Server

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Jan 13 05:04:07 PST 2006

Patrik Forsberg wrote:
>>> UFS2 scales very well on a havy loaded server so I see no
>>>
>> reason to use
>>
>>> RaiserFS or any other FS in FreeBSD ?
>>>
>> One good reason, would be journaling, but that isn't
>> necessarily compelling.
>>

> true, true!
> But aint GEOM journalling coming ? and I saw something about
> UFS2-journalling(something like ext3) too ? but those are both in
> development so.. still a no-go.

Yes, ufs2-journaling is being worked on by Scott Long and a SoC
developer, but I think the project is stalled, not 100% certain on that
though.  gjournal, at least the original implementation, does not stop
you from having to fsck - it is there merely as a means to roll-back
block changes, but ignores the filesystem.  While handy and interesting,
not useful for filesystem consistency.  Now, I've heard that it is being
re-implemented, and may provide different features.

>>> I've ran, and is about to do so, a major newfeed machine,
>>>
>> which use alot
>>
>>> of disk i/o, on UFS2 without any trouble.
>>> With softupdate in UFS2 the fsck in case of a crash is very time
>>> limited.
>>>
>> I don't believe softupdates changes the recovery time any significant
>> amount, but it does ensure meta-data consistency.  With
>> background fsck,
>> your startup time can be reduced, which is very nice.
>>

> Ah.. yes, but with background fsck you atleast get the system online
> quicker then with single-user fsck which can take hours on huge
> slices/partitions, altho the system might be alot slower then usual
> atleast the services are running.
> Newfeed(inn) got real grumpy when the background fsck were running on
> its spool disks :>

Yea, for me, I want the service online, even if it is slow.  For me,
slow means work continues, and systems keep running - offline means $$.

>>> As for XFS and ReiserFS support you do have the support in ports:

>>> Info:   Utilities and library to manipulate ReiserFS partitions

>>> Info:   A set of utilities and library to manipulate an xfs
>>>
>> filesystem
>>
>> Note that those are read-only support.
>>

> Ah.. figures!
> (I did say I havent used them!)
>

>> I have many FreeBSD servers here, that are *VERY HEAVILY*
>> used, and the
>> entire company depends on them.  I have 100's of GB's to tens of TB's
>> hosted on FreeBSD servers, and I'm very happy to say it performs
>> incredibly well, and is very stable.  Both 5.4(STABLE) and
>> 6-STABLE are
>> very solid for serving.
>>

> Same same. Most of our hosting and colocation servers that run a *nix
> type system are FreeBSD and they all do there job very well.
>

>> One thing to be warned about - the larger the single filesystem, the
>> more memory you will need for fsck's.  Actually, it's more
>> dependant on
>> number of files, but the relationship is there.  Full 2Tb filesystems
>> (for me) require about 2.5GB of memory available for fsck use, YMMV.
>>

> True!
> Altho with 2Tb FS you probably want alot of MEM anyways, just to keep
> the system happy and responsive. Altho over 4G on a 32bit system is a
> no-no, alteast in SMP systems.

Very true..

Eric