FreeBSD as Server

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Jan 13 04:48:19 PST 2006

Patrik Forsberg wrote:
>> I am ISP admin. All my server work under Linux, but I want to try for
>> this function FreeBSD. Once I used server under FreeBSD 5.3. Now I
>> testing FreeBSD 6.0.
>> I liked functions such as dummy net, simple configuring, etc. But in
>> FreeBSD I don't have alternative FileSystems exclude UFS and UFS2. On
>> high-loaded FileServer is good idea to use XFS or ReiserFS,
>> but this FS
>> don't supported as well as in Linux. How I can to solve this problem?
>>

> UFS2 scales very well on a havy loaded server so I see no reason to use
> RaiserFS or any other FS in FreeBSD ?

One good reason, would be journaling, but that isn't necessarily compelling.

> I've ran, and is about to do so, a major newfeed machine, which use alot
> of disk i/o, on UFS2 without any trouble.
> With softupdate in UFS2 the fsck in case of a crash is very time
> limited.

I don't believe softupdates changes the recovery time any significant
amount, but it does ensure meta-data consistency.  With background fsck,
your startup time can be reduced, which is very nice.

> As for XFS and ReiserFS support you do have the support in ports:

> Info:   Utilities and library to manipulate ReiserFS partitions

> Info:   A set of utilities and library to manipulate an xfs filesystem

Note that those are read-only support.

I have many FreeBSD servers here, that are *VERY HEAVILY* used, and the
entire company depends on them.  I have 100's of GB's to tens of TB's
hosted on FreeBSD servers, and I'm very happy to say it performs
incredibly well, and is very stable.  Both 5.4(STABLE) and 6-STABLE are
very solid for serving.

One thing to be warned about - the larger the single filesystem, the
more memory you will need for fsck's.  Actually, it's more dependant on
number of files, but the relationship is there.  Full 2Tb filesystems
(for me) require about 2.5GB of memory available for fsck use, YMMV.

Eric