management

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Jan 12 22:06:50 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 04:01:49PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Jon Simola, and lo! it spake thus:

As with most such things, this all boils down to "what works for you
right now in your specific case."  But, just for the sake of
dialogue...

> What I'm doing now is all my machines have a common NFS mounted /usr
> and /var/db/pkg so installing a port/package on any one of them
> means they all have the package installed.

I would tend toward instead using rsync/rdist to manage /usr from a
central location, and leave it on local disks.  It saves having your
whole network die when your NFS server goes down, and is also a lot
faster.  Plus, it lets you more easily maintain individual machine
configs in /usr/local/etc, and handle some things (PostgreSQL comes to
mind) which write their running data under /usr/local.

> But it it something that, in *my* experience and in *my* particular
> setup saves me a lot of time.

Which is pretty much what it all boils down to; EVERY situation is
unique in some way, and every person finds a slightly different layout
works for them.  Heck, I did upgrades from source on running,
important servers, directly from 2.2.8-S to a 4.3 or 4.4-ish era 4-S;
I certainly wouldn't recommend THAT to anybody who could stay out of a
mental institution, but It Worked For Me(tm).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net