freebsd router

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 06:24:37 PST 2006

--- Marcin Jessa <lists at yazzy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:54:08 -0800 (PST)
> Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > --- Marcin Jessa <lists at yazzy.org> wrote:

> ask
> > > the

> > > years.
> its
> about
> > > reaches

> you
> > > help
> the
> > > max

> use
> > > the
> drive
> > > with

> FreeBSD
> has
> way.
> > >

> > It sounds like
> >
> > 1) you've never done any testing
> > 2) you don't understand how things work
> >
> > Check my other post in this thread for
> details.
> >
> > Whats the point of "trolling" that freebsd 4
> is
> > better at routing than 5? Do you think I own
> > stock in freebsd 4? Linux 2.6 is slower than
> > linux 2.4 at routing. Its the simple truth.
> > Easily
> > determined.
>
> Point proven, you are trolling.
> There is an article I would like you to read
> before going any further:
> http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/

It helps if you understand benchmarking, and why
these tests are a joke. Does an O/S use sockets
to route? No. Does it do any forking or binding?
no. At least try to understand the subject
matter. And freeBSD 5.1 was a piece of crap and
even the freebsd developers admit that. So the
fact that you give even an once of credibility to
it is just plain stupid.

On second thought, I think I'm right about Cisco
vs Freebsd. Cisco doesn't have any product that
can route as many PPS as freebsd 4.x without
specialized hardware.

The proof of the pudding is in the test. Set up a
box with 1 route and 2 NICs and pump traffic
through it until it starts to drop packets. Then
pop another disk on and try with another O/S. Its
not rocket science. FreeBSD 4.x wins hands down.

DT