freebsd router

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jan 11 06:21:09 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 06:10:15AM -0800 I heard the voice of
Danial Thom, and lo! it spake thus:

> Well thats just stupid. Clearly I'm referring to general purpose
> operating systems, not custom hardware platforms.

"[...] fastest router platform man has ever created" doesn't include,
imply, or even allow such qualifications.  State insane hyperbole,
expect to get called on insane hyperbole   8-}

> And I don't see any of your logic for thinking that "newer FreeBSD
> versions" are faster. They're not.

Well, for starters, _I_ never expressed any opinion as to whether they
were.  5.x certainly isn't (but then, 5.x is slower at most things
than 4.x).  6.x may be, in certain situations.  And 7.x very likely
will be, particularly with the work Andre is currently doing in the
network stack.  MP is a DECIDED advantage in routing since you can
process things in parallel, and routing is a _very_ parallelizable
operation, since packets are independent of each other.

All of which is pretty irrelevant to the OP's question, of course.  If
4.x is working for you, and you don't have a pressing need to upgrade,
use 4.x.  If you're not getting the performance you expect out of
networking on 6.x, -net is probably a better place to ask than -isp.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net