freebsd router

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jan 11 05:56:28 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 05:48:14AM -0800 I heard the voice of
Danial Thom, and lo! it spake thus:

> I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning for thinking so.

I can walk over to Cisco and buy a router that will push well over a
billion packets per second.  FreeBSD 4.x can't even come within 3
orders of magnitude of that.

> Routing is fastest when implemented as a single process task.

Not even remotely true.  And routing is CERTAINLY not fastest when
implemented on a CPU.

> While it could be possible to have a faster routing subsystem on a
> custom-designed MP O/S, its not practical to build a general purpose
> O/S in such a way.

s/could be/absolutely is/
Which pretty well eliminates the statement "FreeBSD foo is the fastest
router platform Man has ever created" right there.  The fastest router
platform is and will always be a platform designed to be a router.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net