freebsd router

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 05:54:09 PST 2006

--- Marcin Jessa <lists at yazzy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:16:21 -0800 (PST)
> Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > --- ann kok <annkok2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I think this group might be correct to ask
> the
> > > performance of freebsd as router
> > >
> > > I have run freebsd 4.11 as router for 3
> years.
> > > I like
> > > freebsd because it is more stable and its
> > > security.
> > > Recently, the bandwidth grows to stop about
> > > 383M in
> > > mrtg graph and have packet loss when it
> reaches
> > > 370M
> > >
> > > I am trying to use freebsd 6.0. Could you
> help
> > > how to
> > > tune the freebsd to have high network
> > > throughput? I
> > > test the throughput by ipref software. the
> max
> > > is
> > > about 390M
> > >
> > > I configure polling, loader.conf and use
> the
> > > Intel(R)
> > > Pentium 3.0 Hz, intel Giga em0, sata drive
> with
> > > 2G
> > > memory
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help
> >
> > Stop wasting your time and stay with FreeBSD
> > 4.11. Its the fastest router platform Man has
> > ever created, and its likely to say that way.

It sounds like

1) you've never done any testing
2) you don't understand how things work

Check my other post in this thread for details.

Whats the point of "trolling" that freebsd 4 is
better at routing than 5? Do you think I own
stock in freebsd 4? Linux 2.6 is slower than
linux 2.4 at routing. Its the simple truth.
Easily
determined.

DT