FreeBSD +NFS + mail services

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Wed Jan 4 21:14:55 PST 2006

David Gilbert writes:

Darren Pilgrim

> It does seem like most of them arn't used.  I'd say your number is
> somewhere between 4 and 8, but considering that these are just kernel
> threads, having 20 around may not be costing you enough to worry.
> Certainly, you don't require more.

I am more concerned with having more connections than needed on the
server... specially as the number of clients increase.

Thanks to Darren Pilgrim I decreased sysctl vfs.nfs.iodmaxidle  to 30
instead of 120. That way those nfs client programs will only wait 30 seconds
of idle time before dissapearing.

I am also considering setting the upper limit for clients to 10.

> but I seem to remember running nfsd with a larger -n argument starting
> mroe daemons ... but that might not be FreeBSD.  The server side is
> certainly less dynamic.

Thanks. Will try that on a test machine.