newby isp questions

RH Lists lists at 101.net
Tue Jan 3 10:57:49 PST 2006

Hello Juan, and welcome.

>From your questions, it sounds like you don't want to be an ISP, but a
hosting company (HSP).

I doubt you can run an effective hosting business on an ADSL line, for two
reasons:

1. you will limited by the UPLOAD speed of your line.  ADSL is generally
fast in one direction only. The fastest anyone will be able to download is
the upload speed of your line.  Is 512kbps enough?  Not usually these days.
(Then again, I started in 1995 with a 128k fractional T1, and it lasted me
about a year - times have changed!)
2. Around here at least, ADSL connections use PPPoE protocol, which limits
the MTU to 1492 or lower.  This can *sometimes* cause problems when running
a server.

You can probably run a test server from your home this way. If you need more
bandwidth, it's often best to lease a server or collocate it in a high
bandwidth secure environment.

You will be able to run all of the required services on FreeBSD - all but
one box in our network is FreeBSD (routers and switches excluded).  However
for hosting more than a few sites, we found it easier to stop configuring
sites manually, and bought a hosting control panel. Ensim doesn't run on
FreeBSD, and doesn't work with private IP addresses. It does however support
domain aliases - I like that feature a lot.  We use it on a Fedora box.  I
use Plesk for my own websites, on a FreeBSD (5.3-SECURITY) box, in private
IP space. It is also very nice.

It comes down to what you want to do - have a box to play on and learn, or
have a viable business.  Rarely do the two objectives collide.

Regarding your questions,

1. no, they don't have to be separate.  Personally, I believe in hardware
firewalls.
2. see my warning on adsl. But if you can get FreeBSD to see the usb network
device, have fun.
3. no, every domain doesn't need its own jail.
3a. unless you are using ssl (https), each domain doesn't need its own IP
address.

Where to start learning?

www.webhostingtalk.com
http://www.oreilly.com/