walled garden concept

Jon Simola jon at abccomm.com
Fri Feb 17 09:55:30 PST 2006

On 2/17/06, Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any tutorials for setting up a "walled garden"?
> I work for an ISP and we'd like to allow a specific dialup account
> Free Access via our RADIUS, but we want to limit this user to access
> just three or so urls: Our customer {registration|renewal|webselfcare}
> interfaces only.

Configure RADIUS to assign the account an IP from a private range.
Then you can redirect any/all http requests to wherever you want.

> I am looking for ideas on how this is done. I suppose it's done on the
> NAS, yes?

It could be done in several ways. If your access server supports local
user tables (I've only ever used Livingston/Lucent Portmasters, which
do) then it could all be done on the access server. Otherwise, it's
some minor network glue to make it work between RADIUS, DNS and
webservers.

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator