Ports/source dance

Mark Bucciarelli mark at gaiahost.coop
Thu Aug 10 20:49:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:38:45PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> >
> > I guess the broader question is how to handle security upgrades
> > when the port isn't ready.
>
> First off, you posted to the wrong list, you should have posted this to
> freebsd-ports@, ideally _after_ you contact the maintainer for the port
> (which can be found in the port's Makefile).

There's a scary security alert from yesterday out and no port
update so I judged it to be isp-related.  I looked for
ports-security list but didn't see one.

> To answer your question more usefully, the Porter's Handbook
> (on the FreeBSD web site) has a lot of good information about
> how to create and maintain ports. If you are lucky, the
> following will work for you for a quick and dirty update till
> the maintainer (or you) have a chance to do a more thorough job
> of it. If you're not lucky and need help, please follow up with
> the maintainer, and the freebsd-ports list if needed.
>
> cp -Rp /usr/ports/<blah>/rubygem-rail ~/ cd ~/rubygem-rail vi
> Makefile Update version information to the desired version make
> makesum Use some out of band method to try and determine that
> the files you downloaded are the right ones make

Heh.  I looked at the patch for the upgrade from 1.0.0. to 1.1.2
and there were 14 seperate files changed across seven (IIRC)
ports.  I think I'll wait--turns out the versions I have running
are not affected.

Although if the maintainter doesn't get back to me in a week or
so I may tackle it.

Thanks,