Bind9: rndc reload doesn't work for slave servers

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 2 18:21:37 UTC 2006

Edda Hochstrate wrote:

> In our opinion as an ISP the refresh time is for the world of resolvers.
> Authoritative nameservers (especially slaves serving hidden primaries)
> should be as close as possible to the primary.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but Brian was right. The refresh number
in the SOA tells slave servers how often to poll the master(s) for updates,
servers that query the authoritative servers (resolvers) don't care about
that number.

Your best bet would be to ask your customer to drop the refresh period to
something like 15 minutes, which should be more than adequate.

hth,

Doug