wifi public access

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Tue Sep 27 14:27:14 PDT 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:24:21 -0700
Jim Pazarena <fisp at ccstores.com> wrote:

> I distribute wifi internet to my customers via MAC
> authentication at the access point, and DHCP assignment
> from my server.
>
> I would like to offer "wide open" (no MAC authentication)
> at the access point, and have my server (somehow) permit
> the access, or re-direct non subscribers to a sign-up page.
>
> To provide service to the tourist traffic and non clients
> on a pay-per-go basis.
>
> What kind of software should I be looking for? It was suggested
> that non-clients get routed to a specific point. How would I
> accomplish this?

You can use firewalling for that and redirect all unauthorized
clients to some site or local squid which can allow/disallow certain
domains with it's ACLs.

The unauthorized users would get handed out their own network.
The access point would need to run some scripts to open firewall for
authorized MACs and the DHCP server would put authorized users to a
different DHCP class and give them a different IP range.
You could propably query your radius server and fetch all the MACs
there and open up your firewall for those MACs only.

Cheers.
Marcin