FreeBSD, quagga (BGP) and 2950 VLANs

Daniel Pocock daniel at lvdx.com
Mon Sep 26 14:50:12 PDT 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Daniel Pocock wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
>> I'm also curious about whether FreeBSD supports polled rather than
>> interrupt driven behaviour in the NIC driver - that means that the
>> system won't keep on re-entering an interrupt handler concurrently
>> while under load (when a DoS attack is in progress).
>

> Indeed it does, see "man polling".
> Make sure you increase HZ to at least 1000...

Good news - I got the quagga and vlan stuff working.  Thanks for all
those who gave tips on this issue.  It was surprisingly easy to get all
this going and I'm now receiving a full BGP table from an upstream provider.

I'm now starting to look at how to filter packets that I am forwarding,
to ensure that none of the people I connect to can use me as their
default route (unless I give them permission to do so).  The FreeBSD
docs mention three different packet filters - pf, ipfw and ipf.

Does any of these have specific benefits for a routing device that is
forwarding 99.9% of it's traffic to other hosts, or is it just a
question of personal preference?  The rules I intend to write are fairly
simple, and I don't need any state-based stuff.

Director
London Voice and Data Exchange Limited
http://www.lvdx.com