FreeBSD, quagga (BGP) and 2950 VLANs

Kurt Jaeger lists at complx.LF.net
Mon Sep 19 13:58:00 PDT 2005

Hallo,

> I'm planning to connect the FreeBSD server to a trunk port on a Cisco
> 2950 and put each interconnected IP provider into a separate VLAN.  The
> documentation I've read so far suggests that FreeBSD is happy with VLANs
> - will this arrangement work and will it have any significant effect on
> performance?

We use this setup (with 4.x and 5.x as core routers).

We do this since approx. 1996 (in those days with gated and fbsd 2.x and
without the VLAN stuff), so it's very solid from our point of view.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  15 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        fon +49 711 90074-23  pi at LF.net