FreeBSD, quagga (BGP) and 2950 VLANs

Daniel Pocock daniel at lvdx.com
Mon Sep 19 07:02:43 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been told that FreeBSD performs routing computations in linear
time, even with large routing tables (such as from BGP), and that it is
therefore superior to Linux for use as a border router.  Is this so, and
are there any specific documents I should review about the performance
of FreeBSD routing?

As I haven't used FreeBSD before (I've been using Debian for about 10
years), I am wanting to make sure my expectations are not unreasonable.

I've discovered that there is the 4.11 release and the 5.4 release.  Are
there any compelling reasons why I should choose one of these over the
other, for my intended application?  The only application I will be
running is quagga.

I'm planning to connect the FreeBSD server to a trunk port on a Cisco
2950 and put each interconnected IP provider into a separate VLAN.  The
documentation I've read so far suggests that FreeBSD is happy with VLANs
- will this arrangement work and will it have any significant effect on
performance?

Regards,

Daniel

Director