VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD; performance issues

Blake Covarrubias blake at yfug.yumaed.org
Sun Sep 11 01:49:38 PDT 2005

On Sep 10, 2005, at 8:37 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Blake Covarrubias wrote:
>
>> I have a question about VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD. I've read the
>> documentation and have set them up on a machine. After doing so
>> though the machine seems less network responsive. Does
>> implementing  VLAN interfaces / tagging slow down network
>> performance?
>>

> Some, yes, although not by much and that depends to some extent on
> whether your NIC has VLAN_MTU hardware support.

I'm not sure if VLAN_MTU is available or enabled on my NIC. I will
have to check that.

>> The reason for wanting VLAN tagging is the machine has once NIC
>> and I wanted
>> to multi-home it without having to install another NIC. The
>> network card is
>> using the 'fxp' driver.
>>

> fxp is a good NIC hardware.  However, if you are trying to connect
> two distinct subnets, playing ISO layer-2 games with VLANs is not
> going to result in a good substitute for layer-3 IP routing.
>
> You cannot truthfully multihome a machine with a single NIC.

My goal is to make this machine a gateway for several servers that I
need to segment that will be on different IP subnets. I could always
just alias the IP's to the NIC on the gateway machine, but I need
layer-2 separation for security.  I'm doing this for co-located
servers (hence the need for segmentation) I don't think its feasible
to add a NIC for every new machine.

I'll check to see if VLAN_HWTAGGING and VLAN_MTU is available on the
NIC. If anyone has any other experience in setting up a router/
gateway in this type of environment I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

--
Blake Covarrubias