VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD; performance issues

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Sep 10 08:37:38 PDT 2005

Blake Covarrubias wrote:
> I have a question about VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD. I've read the
> documentation and have set them up on a machine. After doing so  though
> the machine seems less network responsive. Does implementing  VLAN
> interfaces / tagging slow down network performance?

Some, yes, although not by much and that depends to some extent on whether your
NIC has VLAN_MTU hardware support.

> The reason for wanting VLAN tagging is the machine has once NIC and I wanted
> to multi-home it without having to install another NIC. The network card is
> using the 'fxp' driver.

fxp is a good NIC hardware.  However, if you are trying to connect two distinct
subnets, playing ISO layer-2 games with VLANs is not going to result in a good
substitute for layer-3 IP routing.

You cannot truthfully multihome a machine with a single NIC.

--
-Chuck