Load Balancing - Nice and Easy - no BGP, no isp help.

Eric W. Bates ericx at vineyard.net
Tue Sep 6 10:18:15 PDT 2005

I've seen one commercial product control incoming load-balancing with DNS.

Theoretically if you set the TTL for the RRs down low (I've never gone
shorter than 300 seconds; but I suppose you could go smaller); you could
then 'direct' incoming traffic by providing one IP or the other.  Tools
like bind9-dlz should make it easier to control the zone file dynamically.

In the case of a web page that requires a consistent route during a
session, I don't know of an easy way to control bind response based on
request source.  You can put source configs in named.conf (we do this
for "split-horizon" DNS when you use the same name server to respond to
requests from both inside and outside a NAT). But I don't believe that
aspect is hooked for dynamic control inside the latest version (I could
be wrong).

Can you share your pf config?