Web Hosting - IPs, Quotas and Jails

Michael R. Wayne wayne at staff.msen.com
Mon Oct 24 09:52:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:56:22AM -0400, Troy Settle wrote:

> Anyways, here's where I need some help.  I want to create a 3rd jail for
> Frontpage services.  FP doesn't have any built in quota support that
> I've seen, so I'll need to depend on file system quotas.  The problem
> with this, is that quotas do not seem to work in a jailed environment.
> Can anyone recommend a solution/workaround to this?

This can be (mostly) made to work.

Mount the filesystem on the host machine with quotas enabled,
pointing to a file reachable by the jail.  Example /etc/fstabs:

/dev/da0s1d     /JAIL_NAME/home             ufs     rw,nosuid,nodev,userquota=/JAIL_NAME/usr/quotas/JAIL_NAME.home   2       2

In the jail, use

/dev/da0s1d     /home             ufs     rw,nosuid,nodev,userquota=/usr/quotas/JAIL_NAME.home,noauto   2       2

Remember that you only have a single namespace (numberspace?) for
UIDs so do not re-use them in other jails.

/\/\ \/\/