Backup solutions

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:12:51 PST 2005

On 11/17/05, mike at lanline.com <mike at lanline.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         I'm looking into several backup options for my site.  We have a
> mixed (BSDI/FreeBSD/Linux) environment.  We recently got a 2TB server and
> I was wondering what the general consensus was on backups.  I was either
> considering writing some custom scripts to just tar, zip, and dump data

FWIW, i have read that by far the best is dump, because of the way it
deals with the raw data. No need to worry bout files with holes in
them (with other backup tools, this could mean you may not be able to
fit the file system back on after backup, if there are core files etc)
I believe i read this in the O'Rielly text Unix Power Tools, but could
be wrong. They also referenced an extensive test that was done by
someone, and gave the link. I will post it if i find it.