Backup solutions

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed Nov 16 19:01:11 PST 2005

mike at lanline.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I'm looking into several backup options for my site.  We have a
> mixed (BSDI/FreeBSD/Linux) environment.  We recently got a 2TB server and
> I was wondering what the general consensus was on backups.  I was either
> considering writing some custom scripts to just tar, zip, and dump data
> to the remote file system or possibly using bacula.  Amanda is out,
> because I'm not really interested in pushing the stuff to tape.
> 	So, I'm pretty much down to bacula and the standard unix tools.
> Bacula looks cool, but it seems like it maybe unnecessarily complicated
> and bulky (btw, i also do have a few w2k servers that can be backed using
> bacula's client :( ).  Anyone with a similar situation or experience with
> bacula?

I use rsnapshot to back up several Tb's of data to a single large
'snapshot' server, which holds about 80 'full' backups of my data,
online.  I then roll certain snaps to tape (using either tar or bacula),
and send the tapes off.  The solution works well, is fast, and keeps the
data transfer down.

Eric