Using PXE to install FreeBSD 6.0 - wrong kernel path and ip

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 05:04:53 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:59:25PM +0100, Emre Bastuz wrote:
> The main question is, why does it not accept what I´ve entered in the dhcpd.conf
> ("option root-path "192.168.2.38:/usr/local/export/pxe") and takes "/pexroot"
> instead?

I think it's option filename not option root-path which is used to locate
the pxeboot loader itself.

Assuming you're following the instructions and sample configs at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/
you might also find this useful:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-stable/2005-June/016306.html

I would certainly expect to see multiple DHCP exchanges taking place:

(1) the pxe bootstrap loader DHCP's for an IP and some parameters
(2) it fetches pxeboot using TFTP and runs it
(3) pxeboot DHCP's for an IP and some parameters
(4) pxeboot fetches the kernel using NFS (or TFTP, if you rebuild pxeboot
    with the options outlined in the link above)
(5) the kernel boots
(6) the kernel DHCP's for an IP and some parameters, if you've set it
    to mount the root partition over NFS

As to why you're getting two different IP addresses taken on DHCP, I don't
know. I see you are using both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. Do you have a
subnet mask big enough to cover both ranges into a single block?

Regards,

Brian.