Backup/Secondary relay server (mailertable)

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Tue Nov 8 05:23:55 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:23:52 +0000
Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:59:39AM +0800, dungkaitai wrote:
> > I wanted to know how should the backup/secondary relay server
> > should be setup.
>
> (1) Install Exim. You won't regret it.
>
> # cd /usr/ports/mail/exim
> # make all install clean
>
> [/etc/mail/mailer.conf]
> sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/exim
> send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/exim
> mailq           /usr/local/sbin/exim
>
> # /etc/rc.d/sendmail stop
>
> [/etc/rc.conf]
> sendmail_enable="NONE"
> exim_enable="YES"
>
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start
>
> (2) Edit /usr/local/etc/exim/configure, find this line, and list the
> domains you wish to allow backup MX for:
>
> domainlist relay_to_domains = foo.com : bar.com
>
> (3)
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh restart
>
> (4) relax :-)
>
> Exim is the Swiss-army knife of MTAs. You can easily replace that
> configuration line with a database lookup (so you can act as backup
> MX for tens of thousands of domains), or set it to act as backup MX
> for anyone who lists your server in the DNS as a secondary MX:
>
> domainlist relay_to_domains = @mx_secondary
>
> See /usr/local/share/doc/exim/spec.txt for full details.

I could not agree more. I run exim on FreeBSD and NetBSD and found it
to be the moste flexible open source SMTP-server. Mostly thanks to it's
ACL's.
Here are some configs of mine:
http://www.yazzy.org/configs/freebsd/exim/

Cheers
Marcin.

P.S For the postfix lovers: Yeah, it's an awsome workhorse too.