Thoughts on a large-scale DNS server...

Dan Ross dan.ross at hamiltontel.com
Tue Jun 28 15:03:06 GMT 2005

John,
    Having done this before, I can say that everybody will usually have
a different opinion about this.  What I did when I had a similar
situation is I picked the BIND version that had the most CERT fixes.  8
has been out for a while so it is a good gamble, and if your already
worried about backward compatible your question is already answered.
   Organizational wise what I did was I made primary dns the master of
everything and nothing.  It had the domain authority but I had a whole
fleet of lesser servers in charge of the "sub domains", which I broke up
by network address ie 65 network, 198 network etc..  It did mean more
servers but then any one system failure did not bring down the whole
system.  I went with a combination of LINUX and Freebsd but ended with
mostly LINUX because it had more platform flexibility, as in I could
grab anybodies desktop slap the magic wand of that is my new LINUX box
and, bam, I had a temporary LINUX system while I fixed the old one.
Daniel