pppoed tuning advice

ovidiue at unixware.ro ovidiue at unixware.ro
Thu Jun 9 19:06:23 GMT 2005

Hello

I've tried to optimize the speed using PPPoEd.

I have a FreeBSD Box (5.4) and 4 windoze boxes (win xp, 2000 and 98)
Without PPPoEd, the download speed is at 100mbps from FreeBSD box to windows boxes
and 80 mbps from a windoze box to another.

if i conect all windoze to pppoed freebsd server the download speed from freebsd
to windoze is 80 mbps but the speed from one windoze box to another is too slow
almost 10 mbps. why is that?

If I have 4 or more users the speed slows down at 800 kbps, on a 100 mbps lan (when a user is using
ftp to the router). Also when a single user copy a file from router the used CPU is 8%, the router is a
Pentium IV at 2,4 Ghz, and it seems too much cpu is consumed. When not downloading files from
router the ppp process uses 0% of cpu.

i've tried a lot of optimizing solutions but none worked.
i've changed MTU, MRU (lower than 1492) from pppoed and tried other pppoed
parameters

anyone have experience with that?
(for windoze box i use pppoe suport from win xp and raspppoe for windoze 2000
and 98)

I do not have any pipe, i use a simple firewall with ipfw

ovidiu