inbound ssh ceased on 4 servers at same time

Cody Baker cody at wilkshire.net
Sat Jun 4 19:31:43 GMT 2005

Are they really denying the connections or rather just timing out?  We
had a similar issue a while back where all of our back end servers on a
private network were taking forever/never authenticating SSH and a few
other services.  It turned out that the reverse lookup started failing
because in the past our upstream had 10.x.x.x set in their DNS to
deliver an nxdomain.  Whatever server they had that reverse zone pointed
too was either taken offfline or setup to drop outside requests making
it so when any of our systems on this private network would ssh to
another it would try the reverse and sit for minutes waiting for a
response.  We solved this by adding setting our implementing a DNS
server on this private network.

Thank You,

Cody Baker
cody at wilkshire.net