rndc reload and BIND9

Newcub Admin admin at newcub.kcnet.org
Thu Jul 7 17:02:19 GMT 2005

Simon wrote:

>Yes, reload is graceful, it will only load named.conf and new zones, it
>will not touch preloaded zones. Having 2 masters makes no sense,
>unless you are actually splitting the zone files between them. Unless
>you perform a cold start of your bind, transfers only occur when a serial
>number is updated (upon reload) or when a zone expires.
>
>-Simon
>
>On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:02:04 -0400 (EDT), John Von Essen wrote:
>

>>Following a post I had about BIND9, I need to verify a certain behavior
>>with BIND9 and issuing a rndc reload.
>>
>>Instead, of having a master and slave, I am going to have two masters. One
>>master is the real master, the other gets replicated via rsync. The main
>>reason for this approach is to cut down on all the zone transfers (we
>>have 12,000 domains).
>>
>>After every hourly rsync, I will issue a rndc reload. If anything has
>>changed, named will see it with the new serial number. Does the reload
>>keep dns functionality up and running while it performs the reload?
>>
>>A pure stop and start will take about 55 seconds, which isn't acceptable
>>every hour. But if the reload (which appears to take 10 seconds) is
>>gracefull and keep existing functionality intact while it reloads, then
>>that would be great. Just need to verify.
>>
>>Thanks
>>John

Have you considered using powerdns www.powerdns.com. It uses MySQL for a
backend, so there are no config files to maintain, and you can easily
replicate the database to distribute the load.

I can't yet testify to its ability to withstand a heavy loads, because I
have not put it in production. So far in my testing, it is working
flawlessly.

Rob Harrington
KCnet