SATA vs SCSI RAID 5?

Simon simon at optinet.com
Tue Jan 11 13:50:40 PST 2005

I've been running 5.2.1-R on an isolated data backup server with 3ware ATA
8 channel RAID with 250GB maxtor drives. It does daily backups of multiple
servers. You can monitor array status using 3amd daemon. So far uptime is
almost a year. It does nothing but backups... I'm not sure how it would
compare VS SCSI RAID under high IO. We only use SCSI RAID on our web
servers which get pretty busy. I'm looking forward to using LSI RAID cards
with 5.3 I'm using one with 4.x, it's been working fine for several months, now.
Unfortunately, the monitoring suite is broken due to some bug and I wish
someone would fix it. I emailed the author, but there was no response.  I'm
relying on SAF-TE enclosure to tell me if any of the drives are dead. Frankly,
there isn't much choosing when it comes to SCSI RAID and FreeBSD as of
late. It's either the adaptec, which has a share of it's problems, or LSI which
works fine but lacks monitoring tools.

-Simon