SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server

Christian Damm christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
Thu Feb 24 07:04:06 PST 2005

Ion-Mihai Tetcu schrieb:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:14:28 +0100
> Christian Damm <christian.damm at diewebmaster.at> wrote:
>
>  [ ... ]
>

>>small: 1 > 10000
>>medium: 10000 > 100000
>>big: 100000 > ...
>>(i.m.h.o - it depends on who is looking at this)
>>
>>iron: im not a big fan of big "bloated" boxes in mailserver environments
>>(sun`s and "mainframe" kind of stuff) - multiple fine tuned and
>>carefully built x86 hosts (non SMP single CPU machinmes) running freebsd
>>are all you need and they get cheaper every day... ;-)
>>
>>what kind of system-size/scalability you are after?
>

>  [ ... ]
>
> 30.000 domains (from personal sites to large traffic ones), only virus /
> spam filtering and then relaying the mail to the "webservers" for
> imap/pop/webmail access.

ok - how many users (average) per domain?

> BL rejecting makes a 70% of inbound mail for top 30 of them, but still a

if not more than 70%

> hell lot of spam passes and SA just can't handle the load.

yes - thats what i said in my original posting

> My dspam experience is manly with corporate LANs and such, not ISP
> installs.

with _1_ tuned mid class x86 box with plenty of ram and fast i/o running
freebsd and postfix, you could handle this for sure! - of course using
every useful and available anti-spam possibility offered by postfix and
rejecting as much as you can during the smtp session. i run one email
gateway like this for a isp (around your size) on one extremely tuned
std. x86 host (freebsd/postfix + all useful built-in antispam
"wizardry"/amavisd-new/clamd/vexira/gld (greylist daemon)/dspam...of
course no pop3/imap on this box - load is around 0.5 max.

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria
phone: +43-732-381242, fax: +43-732-381242-22, isdn (leonardo):
+43-732-381242-33
homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office at diewebmaster.at