upgrades

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Dec 19 18:47:15 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:28:15PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Bill Vermillion, and lo! it spake thus:

> As to having one CVSsup on one machine and using nfs for the others
> that is up to you.

I did this for years.  Saved bandwidth (and load on the cvsup
servers), saved disk space, saved processor, and saved me headaches
trying to keep track of what built when.  If you've got a bunch of
systems that are otherwise fairly identical anyway, I'd recommend it.

> Where you can run into stale binaries are things from ports where
> things change- and if you forget to perform portupgrade and just do
> a new install.  Sometimes locations change.

Ironically enough, I just last month or so had a major problem with a
stale binary.  I tried for a week to upgrade something gnome-related
(libgnomeprint, I think?), and it kept bombing out in the build with
really weird errors.  I finally tracked it down to its dependancy on
bison, which port wasn't even installed.  And it didn't install the
port because it found /usr/bin/bison (datestamp Dec 30, 1999) and used
it.  So, yes, doing a `ls -lt` every once in a while is a good
thing...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net