Workarounds for blocked port 25 on outgoing e-mail

Logan lashby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 03:23:43 GMT 2005

On 8/19/05, Jay Banks <jay.quest4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have sendmail and popa3d up and running. Is there any way a person could
> offer mail service to people on ISPs that block port 25 outbound from their
> networks?

Many people do.  Most use the mail submission port, 587.  Typically,
authentication (to ensure that only their customers are relaying
through their servers), is handled via SASL, with SSL usually thrown
in the mix to keep from passing the auth info in plaintext.

>  I have seen solutions that use different ports, but I'm not sure
> about doing this with what I have setup on FreeBSD.

All the software you should need is in ports.

> I bet everyone starting to block port 25 outside of their own networks
> really put the hurt on people offering POP3 accounts.

POP3 access is a totally seperate issue.  You can send mail through a
completey different server and/or ISP than the one you use to download
your mail.  Your access provider should be able to handle outbound
email for you with very little trouble. It's probably as easy as
asking what they recommend as the outbound/smtp mailserver for you.

> I know I can't send e-mail from my own mail server or the POP3 accounts that I pay
> money for,

If your email provider isn't offering some type of authenticated
outbound service for you, I would seriously consider changing
providers.   It's quite simple, really.  If you want to do it with a
mail server that you host, configure it to smarthost through your
provider's (email OR access) server.