RAID Failure

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Fri Aug 12 21:15:36 GMT 2005

Ive got an old Dell 4400 box with an old PERC2 RAID controller. Looks like
we've had a drive failure and the docs and stuff are long gone on this
machine. Before my time.

Machine is still running happily but I dont know which partition this
drive is part of.

/ and /usr are RAID1
/var is RAID1
/var/mail is RAID5 with 1 hotstandby.

I think its probably part of /var/mail as those drives are 18GB and
/var/mail is quite a large partition. Ive not had a drive fail in a raid
config before.

Whats going to happen when I reboot this machine? From the docs Ive found
online for this machine it has hot swap drives but Ive not tried it on
this machine.

What would happen if I pull the drive out since its hotswappable? I dont
think Ive got another drive handy at the moment either thats 18GB, only a
few 9GB drives.

Thanks,
Keith.