Swap File / Swapping computers?

Jay Banks jay.quest4 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 03:57:05 GMT 2005

>   vh1984
>
> Normally, Mailman will remind you of your freebsd.org mailing list
> passwords once every month,

There is a MasterCard joke in that somewhere, because accidentally posting a
password to a public list: priceless. Changed that one pretty quick, and
luckily, use it almost nowhere else. :)

>>cc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
>> Please submit a full bug report.

Thanks for the ideas on TFTP, guys. Although some went over my head, I do
think I figured out my internal error problem. I was making the ports from
my house using SSH and that is the error I was getting. What was really
happening at the time is my swap file ran out of memory. The drive is 12
gig, with 9 gig free. I wish the swap file had been made bigger on
install...

On a different note, a coworker let me borrow a computer to install/learn
FreeBSD on. At some point he will want it back. How does FreeBSD work at
say, backing up and restoring, cloning the hard drive, or pulling the drive
out and putting it into a different system? I was thinking about just
installing from scratch on one of my own computers, but it is getting to the
point where I have a ton of time tied up in this and maybe I don't want to
start over.

I kind of got thrown into an IT type of job at a wireless ISP and they have
three FreeBSD servers running. In less than a month, just to learn my way
around in UNIX, I have setup FreeBSD, an FTP server, a DNS server, Webmin,
Apache (see: www.gospeedy.net) and I'm now working on smtp/POP3. That might
not be much for you guys, but I'm happy that I have gotten as far as I have.

Thanks,

Jay Banks
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=5584398