Mail Server recommendations

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Apr 28 16:03:03 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:34:48PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Jim Durham, and lo! it spake thus:

> One thing that I have considered also is having a 'plain vanilla'
> sendmail installation that folks POP from and do all the scanning on
> a set of load-balanced machines and then they just relay it to the
> POP machine. Something like that...

I would (well, not with sendmail, but...  8-).  You've got a set of
tasks [the mailboxes] that aren't all that heavy, and are hard to
parallelize, and a set of tasks [the scanning] that are insanely heavy
and easy to parallelize.  I mean, it's like getting a personal message
from Olympus to split these tasks along the bright neon lines!

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net