Mail Server recommendations

Christian Damm christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
Thu Apr 28 13:50:16 PDT 2005

Jim Durham schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> We currently have a dual-1.8 Xeon box with 2gb ram and Raid-1
> 160mhz SCSI's running sendmail/procmail/spamassassin and clamav.

this iron should handle serious load without probs.

1.) how large is your userbase?
2.) do you know the bottleneck? (cpu, i/o, ram etc.)
3.) average mails processed per day? (ham/spam/virus ratio?)
4.) sendmail is slow compared to other modern unix MTA`s
5.) procmail and spamassassin are resource hogs

> Our place is growing, adding users and so, we need a bigger,
> faster box.

...or multiple smaller boxes, load balanced via rrdns or a dedicated
load balancer.
anyway, i think hardware is not your problem...as long as i dont have
any numbers its hard to make suggestions. im running >25k userbases on
single self built x86 hosts (mostly p4`s (> 2ghz), 1gb ram, raid-10 (4
hd`s) - its all about fine tuning the whole system (os, mta, other
daemons/apps) for performance (btw. - i dont have any 5.x production
boxes right now, im talking 4.x here).

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria

phone: +43-732-381242
fax: +43-732-381242-22
isdn (leonardo): +43-732-381242-33

homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office at diewebmaster.at