Mail Server recommendations

Jim Durham jimd at nepinc.com
Thu Apr 28 07:32:38 PDT 2005

Hi,

We currently have a dual-1.8 Xeon box with 2gb ram and Raid-1
160mhz SCSI's running sendmail/procmail/spamassassin and clamav.

Our place is growing, adding users and so, we need a bigger,
faster box.

Question:  Currently the box mentioned is a Dell PowerEdge 2650.
We like to deal with Dell, but it's not absolutely "written in
stone" that I do so.  I bought a 2650 because we got one to run
a Windows server and I booted FreeBSD on it to see what it would
make of the PERC3 Raid and all that and it was just fine. The
2650 just 'loves' FreeBSD, so we bought one and its worked well,
but we need more performance now. What bigger, faster box would
make a significant jump in speed and capacity runs FreeBSD well?

I can get a 2850 with 3gb processors, 320mhz SCSIs and add more
RAM, but I'm not sure that would give us a quantum-leap in
performance.

-- Thanks for any suggestions..

Jim Durham